Discovery is the first stage of finding someone a job through customised employment.
Discovery is the process of learning about a job seeker with disability, including their skills, interests and abilities. It can take between 20 and 60 hours and includes:
- understanding what you like and what you don’t by watching and planning with you over time and in different situations
- learning about your interests and needs by talking to you, your family, friends and others
- visiting workplaces that match your interests
- practising doing different parts of a job to understand what you have to offer
- identifying what you need to thrive in a job
- creating a profile or portfolio that describes you, where you want to work and your ideal working conditions. You can then use this in a customised employment meeting.